CODESYS offers the largest variety of communication protocols in the automation world
Seamlessly integrated communication protocols
The core task of CODESYS is the simple programming of logic controllers according to IEC-61131-3. In addition, the automation software offers extensive support of communication protocols for data exchange with other systems in the automation landscape.
All controllers communicate in real-time with connected field devices, such as sensors and actuators. For this purpose, all important fieldbus and Industrial Ethernet systems are implemented in CODESYS.
In a connected Industry 4.0 architecture, modern controllers also exchange their information with other systems, or machine to machine (M2M). These can be other controllers, but also any other intelligent devices in the controller network, machine to cloud (M2C), connected MES or ERP systems, and private or public clouds.
CODESYS makes communication simple: with proprietary and standard protocols that are seamlessly integrated into the platform:
- As components in the CODESYS Control Runtime system, which means they are firmly integrated in the control system
- As components of the CODESYS Development System or as extension APIs
- As reloadable libraries that are compiled along with the application code of the logic controller for the respective target device and executed there.
Comunication via IIoT Libraries
All IoT and IIoT communication protocols can be implemented and used on different transmission media via software. Data exchange is performed by explicitly calling functions or function blocks as part of the IEC 61131-3 control application.
With the library concept integrated in CODESYS, such protocols can be easily maintained and passed on as products after their implementation.
CODESYS IIoT Libraries in the CODESYS North America Store
The CODESYS North America Store includes the communication library CODESYS IIoT Libraries along with the corresponding application examples that implement different communication protocols (indicated in brackets).
- MQTT Client (MQTT)
- Web Client (http, https)
- AWS IoT Core Client (MQTT)
- Azure IoT Hub Client (MQTT, https)
- Mail Service (POP3, SMTP)
- SNTP Service (SNTP)
- SNMP Library (SNMP)
- SMS Service (SMS)
- Other libraries and third-party-supplier libraries, that implement IIoT products or connections
- Auxiliary libraries help you simplify the communication even more, such as
- JSON Utilities
- XML Utility
- CODESYS provides only tested and approved products you can rely on. Sample projects make it easier for you to use communication.
- The access to the physical interfaces is available in the device directly from the PLC application, e.g. Ethernet, serial interfaces, or controller I/Os.
- Exchange data directly with the most important communication protocols - via OPC UA as well as MQTT or http/https.
- You integrate the protocols implemented as a library into your application. Such protocols, which you do not use, do not occupy any resources on the controller.
- Using the possibilities of a modern programming tool (IDE), you can create and use your own protocols directly in CODESYS - without any external software environment. You can even offer the libraries developed in this way to other users via the CODESYS North America Store.