IEC 61131-3 Software Suite - perfectly suited for energy automation applications
CODESYS has been contributing to the field of energy automation for many years.
Energy is a fundamental part of everything people do. Electrical, hydraulic, and mechanical energy must be managed more reliably, sustainably, efficiently, and safely. It is crucial that we optimize energy and process efficiency through forward-looking control solutions for the sustainable development of our living spaces. After all, as society develops at a rapid pace, the demand for energy is also increasing rapidly.
North America features some of the world’s richest wind, solar, geothermal, hydro and biomass resources. Today, solar and wind are expected to add more than 60% of utility-scale generating capacity to the U.S. power grid. The renewable energy industry powers more of the United States of America every day and is among the fastest-growing market.
CODESYS is an integral part of the energy industry. CODESYS meets all important requirements in the energy industry for the realization of cost-effective application solutions: fast data transmission, reliability, flexibility, and scalability. The CODESYS software suite is used as an efficient solution for intelligent automation everywhere - from sustainable energy production in biogas plants, the control of district heating systems, intelligent energy saving systems to smart cities. More than 100,000 wind turbines are already powered with CODESYS Software.
- CODESYS meets all important requirements in the energy industry for the realization of cost-effective application solutions: fast data transmission, reliability, flexibiltiy, and scalability.
- CODESYS is a manufacturer-independent comprehensive and flexible system. All components for energy automation applications are integrated directly in CODESYS, including editors for all IEC 61131-3 compliant implementation languages (6), compilers for native machine codes, a powerful debugger, and a clear project configuration. Add-ons can further supplement these components for efficient application development.
- CODESYS controls more than 100,000 wind turbines.
The Telecontrol package with the IEC 60870-5-104 server in the CODESYS North America Store.
- CODESYS real-time is characterized by a predictable (deterministic) time behavior of a microseconds jitter. If a real-time system sets the task (by configuration) to execute certain routines within a predefined time frame, in CODESYS this happens down to a hundred microseconds cycle time.
- For efficient developments and diagnostics CODESYS has integrated analysis tests, simulations, and offline tests.
- The option to use Object Oriented Programming (OOP) designs facilitates modular and highly reusable code for control applications and significantly reduce development and maintenance time.
- The integrated safety (DIN IEC 61508) and redundancy functions in CODESYS are ideal for high availability and safety-critical applications.
- Engineers are provided with extensive runtime diagnostics information and can safely update the application without stopping it - securely from all over the world.
- CODESYS is used in applications for compact IP67 controllers in rough environments.
CODESYS with DNP3 OFFERS FLEXIBILITY AND FUNCTIONALITY THAT GOES FAR BEYOND CONVENTIONAL COMMUNICATIONS PROTOCOLS
The new CODESYS DNP3 library enables communication using the DNP3 protocol in CODESYS control applications. A CODESYS application running on a controller can be configured and used as a DNP3 outstation.
The CODESYS DNP3 extension includes a CODESYS library that provides IEC function blocks for configuring the DNP3 protocol and mapping inputs and outputs to DNP3 communication objects.
CODESYS DNP3 is designed to optimize the transmission of data acquisition information and control commands from one computer to another using serial and IP communication, intended to interface CODESYS control systems to SCADA applications.
CODESYS DNP3 SL is available in the CODESYS North America store for CODESYS Control for Linux, V220.127.116.11 or higher.
DNP3 USE CASE
A typical utility or electric power application has operations centers that monitor the equipment at each of its substations.
Substations have many devices that need to be monitored, such as switches, current sensors, and voltage transducers. That's just the tip of the Iceberg: a utility Is Interested in monitoring many more parameters from many more device types.
DNP3 is a widely used protocol that defines common rules for communication between substation and control center computers.
The CODESYS DNP3 SL runtime extension and the IEC 61131-3 library allow integrating CODESYS control applications as substations directly with the operations center through the DNP3 protocol. CODESYS applications can control and monitor underlying devices like switches or breakers, perform local control operations, show HMI displays, and report their data to higher-level SCADA systems.
CODESYS Control for Linux can run on any industrial PC as well as on servers in virtualized environments, making it universal to deploy. CODESYS can also bridge between various fieldbus protocols, or interface with almost any external software application running on the same platform, for example, to integrate data loggers, data analyzers, AI functions and many more.
A CODESYS extension for IEC 60870-5-104 server is available in the CODESYS North America store in addition to or as an alternative to DNP3.